Sunday, October 5, 2008

The book runner's conscience

Well the actual name is the "The Kite Runner". A marvelous fiction written by Khalid Hosseini.I finished the book in 3 days flat including attending office and doing other chores like getting food, attending french class and the like. After a long time, I have lost sleep over a book. I had stopped doing everything that was not absolute necessary.I guess I am moving back to my school days.When I had to make great efforts like hiding the book under my school book to finish off the hardy boys, the case files, the Sydney Sheldons and the Jeffrey Archers. These days I read a lot. Atleast by my standards. Since I am trying essay type books, books on management theories and practice other than the classics and the fictions and I get pretty bogged by the material, I have started a new strategy. To read some 4-5 books at the same time. This allows me not only to switch but also test my memory. And let me tell you this, I am not so bad in remembering. Currently I handling a book on Peter Drucker's management practice written by Robert Heller,Pankaj Gehmawat's "Redefining Global Strategy", The Elephant, the tiger and the Cellphone by Shashi Tharoor, Managing Performance by Wayne Eckerson and last but not the least "The Kite Runner". The last one I just finished. I just ravaged through. It was intriguing and had held me captive.It has been quite sometime since I read such a book. Even " the 3 mistakes of my life" by Chetan Bhagat could not hold my breath so much; or may be I had other interesting things to indulge in then. No worries...whatever happens, happens for good. So for the next few days, I am going to devour some more books. As Goddess Saraswati visits her devotees along with Durga Ma and the family, while Kolkata blooms to light and fervour, while I miss the festive mood this time round, I would gift myself with knowledge and the joy of reading.
The book "the Kite Runner" has left scars in my heart. It has expose yet again to the world of hypocrites that we live in. Everything is justified when the people with money and power do it. Alls well we the ruler does it. Never question when the man with the stick does it. Be it the Talibans in Afghanistan or the politicians in India or even the shadows we meet every day of our lives. All have double standards and they all blame it on logistics and practical problems. We just know how to make others suffer,or atleast see others suffer and yet have no guts to change it. We burn people alive, drop bombs to annihilate people in masses, riot and kill people
all in the name of God. We call Him by different names to justify different actions. It is a cycle that never ends. And till it ends, how much ever we prosper we shall not be able to hold to it. Look at our country now, it is ravaged in every part, be it the north east Assam, The North - Kashmir, The east, Bengal,Bihar and Orissa or down south. We need to realize our mistake and deal with others with an iron hand. No on,I say it again no one in this world has the rights to hurt another person or take away his rights to lead his life in a respectful manner. If that is not true what is the difference between the savages and us.

No comments: